When last I had posted about my Wasteland Rider, he was just a mess of colour and tone. Basic shapes and information that needed to be trimmed, nurtured and formed into a final product.
To do this I started quick and dirty, taking a bender brush and smearing the colours together to get what I wanted. As I blend, I keep returning to a other brushes to add in bits of colour and tweak the final image. I also move back and forth between normal brushes and textured brushes.
As this rider is not going to be the focal piece of my painting I am not really putting that much effort into texturing, in fact I will do it all with paintbrushes this time. Marking out and maintaining my hard lines, splashing texture in and blending all at once. This allows me a more fluid development process.
As I worked I also changed my mind on several features of the figure. The goggles, and gas mask were scrapped and redesigned. I also moved to a more untanned leather look with the colour, and added girt where I though it should be.
Lastly I cleaned up the edges that needed it, but kept the piece a bit gritty on the edges.
I combine them, do a bit more clean up and use the dodge and burn tools to tweak the rider just a bit more. Now it is time to save it as a proof and set it aside for a few hours to see what I think with a fresh mind.
After a few hours of letting it stew I decided to change very little. More grit on the rider, made him a bit smaller as well, added some highlights and environmental reflections to him.
Then I messed with my colour levels to get it set a bit more like I wanted.
I have a problem with never “finishing” anything I have painted, so at this point I will call it done, and move on to my next hat trick!